For several years, Budget Blinds® and its sister brand, Tailored Living®, have participated in home renovations with the NBC hit TV show, George to the Rescue (GTTR). George Oliphant, the show’s host, brings together local contractors, interior designers and the local Budget Blinds and Tailored Living franchise owners to tackle remodeling projects to benefit families and communities in need. Most recently, Budget Blinds and Tailored Living assisted with creating a “brand new space” for Stacy Lederman and her two young children after the loss of their husband and father to leukemia. George explains: ”[At present] the home is filled with memories of Darren’s last days and we can give them a fresh start; make it feel like a brand new space, a welcoming space.”
Starting fresh in a familiar space
Stacy and her children, Emma (9) and Noah (7), returned to her childhood home to move in with her parents, assisting her with working full time as a special-needs teacher and providing a stable home for her kids. Her parents, Gary and Sharon, are 100% committed to helping Stacy and the grandkids, and Gary shares, “What better way for us to give up our time than for the kids, to give them the most normal life possible.” The renovation will focus on the three bedrooms, master bath and the hallway/stairs leading up to their rooms. The whole family is excited about the “rescue,” and looking forward to starting over in a happy place.
- Budget Blinds provided faux wood blinds and cellular shades from their exclusive Signature Series® collection for eight windows, ensuring energy efficiency and light and privacy control in all their rooms. As an added feature, all the window coverings have cordless operation for child safety and wand tilt on the blinds to control the view.
- Tailored Living installed three custom closet organization systems. Both kids’ closets received age-appropriate closet organization systems so they can more easily manage their wardrobes by themselves. Stacy’s room was transformed from old-style, reach-in closets to custom, built-in storage so she’ll have all the wardrobe and accessories storage she’ll ever need.
- Carpeting was removed in all three bedrooms and the existing hardwood floors were refinished and restored to look like new.
- The entryway and stairs were updated and brightened up with white paint and new decorative furnishings for a totally fresh approach.
Stacy’s room and master bath: how “suite” it is
Stacy shared what she would like to see from the renovated space: “I would like to feel safe, comforted, a sense of peace. I would like my children to feel that they are starting over in a happy place.” When she saw her new bedroom suite, she said she could sense the warmth, comfort and love that were brought into the room.
- Double-cell cellular shades provide energy efficiency, light and privacy control, and the color, Columba Lotus, perfectly coordinates with the new, cool neutrals color scheme
- White 2” faux wood blinds that are moisture- and sun-resistant were installed in the master bath, cordless for safe, easy operation
- A custom closet organization system transformed one entire wall, including tiered hanging, multiple drawers, glass-inset doors, enclosed cabinets and a posh lighted vanity area, with decorative hardware to match other accessories in the room
- The ceiling was vaulted, the bathroom enlarged, and a stylish barn door was installed to replace the conventional door, creating a master suite
- An industrial chic bedroom set and accessories replaced heavy wood furniture, and the updated gray, beige and white color scheme create a very calm and serene setting
Noah is an avid sports fan, a bond he shared with his father. GTTR sent the family on a day trip to meet the Brooklyn Nets and Noah amazed them with his ability to shoot baskets. He came away with a signed “Lopez 11” shirt which will be part of his new room’s décor until he grows into it.
- 2” white faux wood blinds perfectly set off the blue walls and white trim with child-safe cordless lift and wand tilt operation to control light and privacy
- A new loft bed increased his living space with a desk and storage underneath; a matching dresser in a modern gray-wash finish gives the room a totally-boy look that he won’t outgrow any time soon
- To help keep the room uncluttered, the perfect kid’s closet storage was designed by Tailored Living to handle clothes, shoes, hats, jackets and more
- Sports memorabilia decorates his room and, with a basketball hoop on the back of the bedroom door, Noah can practice shooting hoops
Emma loves dancing and Stacy calls her “a brightness of sunshine in my life.” Emma entertained everyone with cartwheels and does pretend shows for her family. She declares that Grandpa Gary can do anything a kid can do, including magic tricks.
- Classic white faux wood blinds with custom valances beautifully dress both windows and cordless operation allows Emma to control privacy and light in her room
- Transitioning from little girl’s room to budding ballerina studio, a mirror and ballet barre will help her to perfect her pirouettes and arabesques
- A custom closet organization system geared to Emma’s age and wardrobe needs will help her keep her new room neat and clean
- New white bedroom set and vanity are stunning with the pink ceiling and a fluffy, multi-colored rug in hot pink and green
David Powell, franchise owner of Budget Blinds serving Westfield, NJ, was delighted to participate in this special project, donating his time and expertise to measure and install the custom window treatments for Stacy and her family. And special thanks to our manufacturing partner, Springs Window Fashions, for donating the cellular shades and window blinds that will provide years of care-free functionality.
Check out all the renovations in the home and share the heartwarming reveal by watching the full episode of George to the Rescue featuring the Lederman family, Budget Blinds, and Tailored Living by clicking here.
Spring is the ideal time to update and renovate your own home. If new window treatments could brighten up your life, Budget Blinds can help you find the perfect solutions for your windows, whether you need energy efficiency, child-safe cordless operation, eco-friendly products or the ultimate convenience of motorization. See what fresh new styles, colors and textures could do for your home. Call 866-879-9730 today, or go online to www.budgetblinds.com to find the Budget Blinds Style Consultant nearest you and schedule your free, in-home consultation.
Budget Blinds, Style and Service for Every Budget!