Use these tips to conserve energy and save money this winter:
- Conduct an energy audit to find air leaks in your home and seal them with caulk or weather stripping.
- Lower your thermostat to 68 degrees or the temperature recommended by your energy provider.
- Lower your thermostat a few degrees more when you’ll be away and overnight when you’ll be sleeping.
- Open south facing window coverings during the day to heat rooms with passive solar heat.
- Keep north-facing window coverings closed to retain heat.
- Draw window treatments at night to slow heat loss and improve efficiency.
- Layer two classic window treatments on the same window. For example, add a drapery panel and cornice box over a cellular shade to improve energy efficiency and add visual appeal.
- If you’re in the market for new treatments, ask about window treatments, features and techniques that will help conserve more energy.