Universal Design and Smart Home technology such as Crestron Lighting Controls are popular buzz words in the housing industry for builders, remodelers, interior designers and homeowners. Budget Blinds® is synchronized with these trends, dedicated to making homes more beautiful, energy-efficient and comfortable through custom window treatments and the convenience of motorization.
The concept of Universal Design (UD) has evolved, partly, from millions of Baby Boomers reaching retirement age and choosing to age in place (in their own homes) rather than downsize, move in with family, or go into assisted-living facilities. Homes that for years were completely accessible, now present challenges for aging occupants, and UD offers solutions. “Universal Design makes things [products and environments] more accessible, safer and convenient for everyone.” –UniversalDesign.com
In other words, when you build or remodel, be mindful to accommodate the full spectrum of life, from infant to octogenarian needs, incorporating amenities in the home to deal with any eventualities, such as aging, illness or disability. If you are in the process of remodeling, you may want to explore the option of having new windows installed by going to the Window World Maui website. Windows are often ignored during extensive renovation projects which can be a risky decision given how important they are to the aesthetic of the home.
- Employ energy-efficient and “green” building principles to improve air quality in homes.
- Select non-institutional-looking safety features that provide a stylish aesthetic, such as decorative railings on stairways, shower and bathroom fittings like towel racks, shower shelves and soap dishes that are secure enough to serve as “grab-bars” to prevent falls for kids and adults.
- Have a bedroom, kitchen and full bath with walk-in shower on the first floor.
- Incorporate at least one zero-step, no-trip-threshold entry way for safer and easier entry for carrying in groceries, maneuvering a fussy baby in a stroller, a toddler’s short legs, or assisted mobility with a wheel chair, crutches, or a walker.
- Add security measures to protect family and property such as slide-latch or security chain (also prevents unauthorized exit by little ones), exterior shutters and window film.
- Plan for abundant natural light to reduce dependence on electrical power.
- Install motorized window coverings and other automated home processes that can be controlled with the touch of a button.
Budget Blinds and Universal Design
Believe it or not, the benefits of custom window coverings completely align with the Universal Design playbook for enduring design!
- Energy-saving light control throughout the home
- Child and pet-friendly attributes like cordless blinds, shades and shutters
- Style, high quality and long-lasting value
- Sustainability and GreenGuard Certified eco-friendly products
- Ease of operation and motorization options for blinds, shades and drapes
- Security options like blackout shades, security window film and external aluminum shutters
Window coverings play a large part in a home’s overall comfort and how it functions. They add beauty and utility in myriad styles, colors, fabrics and finishes. Your local Budget Blinds Style Consultant will take into consideration everything you need your window coverings to do in order to help you create stylish and functional designs for all stages of life.
- Parents with young children may be especially concerned with safety features for window coverings in children’s bedrooms and common areas.
- First-time homebuyers can start right by selecting the best style window blinds, shades, shutters or drapes to serve their family’s needs for years to come.
- Retirees may find their window coverings are no longer convenient or safe. For example, cordless lift shades may have become difficult to reach; floor-to-ceiling drapes on the patio door may be too heavy to manually open and close. Indoor lighting may not be sufficient for failing eyesight, or mid-day sunlight causes too much glare.
- An accident or illness may necessitate moving someone downstairs from an upstairs bedroom and motorized blinds or shades will help make recovery time more pleasant with one-touch sunlight and privacy control so they don’t have to continually ask for help.
Motorized window coverings
Somfy® motorization brings the ultimate convenience to window coverings by providing total control at the touch of a button. As the world’s leading manufacturer of specialized motors and control systems, you’re assured of getting the latest in hi-tech for your home with the Somfy® myLinkTM app and new Virtual CordTM technology.
- Hard-to-reach windows or heavy treatments like lined drapes or sliding panels can effortlessly be managed by wireless wall switches, hand-held remotes, and a tablet or Smartphone app
- Programmable timers allow for automatic opening and closing of window coverings to maximize natural light and close at dusk for nighttime privacy even when you are away
- Sensors can close motorized shades when temperatures reach a designated cutoff, blocking heat buildup from the sun and saving on air conditioning costs
- Set timers to close window coverings when the sun is at its brightest to protect your furniture, carpets and artwork from harmful UV rays
More people are opting for Smart home technologies as well as using the concepts of Universal Design to drive remodeling decisions, including the selection of window treatments. Security, safety, convenience, saving money and protecting the environment are all integrated into what Budget Blinds offers in our wide range of blinds, Roman shades, Plantation shutters, drapery and other window treatments, like window film, screens and solar shades. Call 866-879-9730 today to schedule a FREE, in-home consultation or go online to www.budgetblinds.com to find the Style Consultant nearest you.
Be sure to ask about the automatic savings available during our Motorization Sale Event going on now!