Every October, National Window Covering Safety Month raises awareness of the potential hazards of corded window coverings to infants and small children. Co-sponsored by The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), parents especially are cautioned to check their window treatments for exposed or dangling cords that could pose a strangulation threat to children. Statistics show that an average of one child a month dies from window cord strangulation, a very preventable death.
Budget Blinds® is committed to offering a full range of window treatments that are child safe, meeting or exceeding the standards set by the American National Standard for Safety of Corded Window Products, and the most recently introduced “Best for Kids” program of the WCSC. Working with our manufacturing partners to continually find ways to improve safety features in all our window coverings, you’re assured of high-quality products that will enhance your windows and create a safe environment for your family.
Cordless window coverings
The good news is, there’s no need to stifle your design creativity when it comes to window coverings, you can have both completely safe and totally stylish window fashions for every room in your home! With a free, in-home consultation, you’ll be able to see samples and design guides to stimulate your imagination and help you create unique window coverings, and your Budget Blinds Style Consultant can work with you on all the safety options that are important to you.
- Shutters offer classic, timeless elegance that is always cordless. Available in wood, composite, vinyl and aluminum, shutters can be customized for arched, round, unique shaped windows or doors, interior and exterior. Styles include Plantation shutters, Café shutters, folding accordion style, or hinged to swing inward, away from the window. You can choose from many natural wood colors or custom color match shutters to furnishings in your home.
- Window blinds in wood, faux wood, composite, vinyl, and our Signature Murano® fabric blinds can be cordless with motorization, or with wand-control operation of louvers, eliminating dangling cords. Choice of styles and colors is limitless, from a variety of whites and neutrals to natural wood grains and smooth or textured finishes. Fabric blinds offer light-filtering properties, with various levels of opacity and myriad colors available. Blinds can be further customized with decorative tapes, valances, cornice boxes and layered with curtains or drapes for a sumptuous look.
- Window shades are the most versatile of all custom window treatments. From natural woven woods to lush exotic fabrics, you can create any look your heart desires. Choose from Roman shades, Pleated shades, Cellular shades, Roller shades, Solar shades and more to achieve the balance of light, privacy and energy efficiency that you need. Window shades can be cordless lift or motorized, making them ideal for homes with children and pets.
,Other cordless options for window coverings that you can investigate with your Style Consultant include:
- Sliding Track System – beautiful alternative to vertical blinds for sliding glass doors and side-to-side openings, the sliding track operation eliminates the need for cords or chains.
- Wand-control vertical blinds provide cordless light and privacy control.
- Manual-control curtains and draperies provide cordless operation for opening and closing.
- Somfy® motorized blinds or shades give the ultimate cordless control and convenience with one-touch operation, and can be added to most of the window coverings we offer.
Making home a safer place
National Window Covering Safety Month is a good time to evaluate your window coverings and assess if they present any risk. Talk to your Budget Blinds Style Consultant about replacing older blinds and shades that do not meet current safety standards, as well as explore ways to secure cords on existing blinds or shades with a child safe retrofit kit. Here are some things to consider as you “think safety.”
- Move cribs, beds or other furniture that children can climb on away from windows.
- Be sure continuous-loop cords are firmly secured to the wall or floor to prevent a child or pet from becoming entangled.
- Wand control for blinds or drapes is an alternative to dangling cords.
- Keep all cords as short as possible, out of a child’s reach
- Use cordless blinds or shades if children are able to reach the window.
- Spring-assisted clutches can be installed to raise and lower window coverings, replacing cords.
- Break-away tassels are designed to break apart under minimal stress to prevent entanglement.
- Cord stops restrict how far internal ladder cords can be pulled from a blind or shade, eliminating the possibility of a loop big enough to fit over a child’s head.
- Cord cleats safely secure cords up and away from a child’s reach.
Budget Blinds is affiliated only with manufacturers that are equally committed to the advancement of window covering safety features in high-quality, trending home fashions. Our franchise owners as well, educate themselves on safety issues as regards the window treatments we offer, so they can be a valuable resource to consumers needing information and assistance.
Call 866-590-6341 or go online to www.budgetblinds.com today to find the Style Consultant nearest you. You’ll be in good hands to get the latest safety and style advice for creating beautiful and safe window treatments in your home.