If you’re a fan of the Property Brothers, Jonathan and Drew Scott, you probably know they’ve renovated a Mediterranean style 5,400 sq. ft. home in Las Vegas and turned it into a virtual island of elegance in the desert. They love Las Vegas and wanted a Vegas vibe for their family destination home, where friends and family can gather and be together with “anything anybody might want” all in one place.
For years Jonathan and Drew have helped hundreds of families live through renovations and find their ultimate dream homes with their three popular HGTV home improvement shows, Property Brothers, Buying and Selling and Brother vs. Brother. Now they are their own clients and that definitely makes for some interesting viewing! Just like everyone else, they’ve not been spared the squabbles over design disagreements, sticker shock of unplanned costs and time delays that cause stress and frustration as they raced to finish before the big Scott Family Reunion in November.
Already affiliated through Buying and Selling with the Property Brothers by supplying window treatments for the show’s renovated homes, Budget Blinds® and its sister company, Tailored Living®, came onboard to provide innovative window coverings, custom closet organization systems, garage cabinets and garage flooring.
A Really Major Renovation
Jonathan and Drew turned what they described as an “outdated décor, empty and blank [house] with a barren backyard” into an oasis. A major focus was the outdoor living space since Jonathan confessed, “My favorite spaces to do are outdoor living spaces and this has every component I could want in my yard.” The backyard became an extension of both the main house and the guest house, unified in an over-the-top, luxurious resort area with a strong focus on play:
- Salt water infinity pool with built-in seating areas and rocking lounge chairs
- Hot tub to accommodate 10 people
- Pool house with full kitchen and swim-up bar
- Fire pit and top-of-the-line barbeque that can cook 35 steaks at a time
- 15’ drop-down movie screen that’s wind and earthquake proof for outdoor movies
- Giant commercial-grade Splashtacular water slide, 91.66’ long and 15’ high
- Putting green (requiring total redesign by Drew)
- Tiled basketball court with imbedded quote: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”
- Outside dining area and see-through fireplace
- Lavish doggie park for Gracie and Stewie (Jonathan’s dogs) with synthetic turf, (real) palm trees, and lounge chairs—relaxing for pets and people alike
- Game room loft in the main house with custom-made, vintage-style pool table and video arcade games
The Incredible Guest House
The main house is shared living space for the brothers, so they built a two-bedroom, two-bath guest house in the backyard for their parents to escape the cold Canadian winters where they live. Jonathan and Drew took great pains to give it special touches, giving mom a spa-style master bath, open-concept kitchen and handy laundry facilities.
For dad, Drew made a replica of a coffee table he and Jonathan played on as kids. The original had been made by their dad and had ranch brands burned into the top. They hunted down branding irons of the ranches he’d worked in the past and burned them into the new table. (The table was a big hit and mom cried happy tears when they toured the guest house.)
Travis Ogburn, franchise owner of Budget Blinds serving Las Vegas, concentrated on making the guest house the comfortable haven Jonathan and Drew wanted it to be for their parents. Roman shades donated by Horizons Window Fashions, a long time manufacturing partner of Budget Blinds, were the ideal window treatment to manage light and privacy while enhancing the ranch-style rustic simplicity the parents like. Jonathan said, “The roman shades look killer!”
- In the living room, knife pleat roman shades in a neutral tone layered with patterned floor-to-ceiling drapes were the perfect backdrop for the overstuffed sofa and chairs, creating a “quiet, comfortable elegance with a warm blend of fabrics to make the room cozy.”
- The master bedroom and guest bedroom received knife pleat roman shades in room-coordinating colors so each room’s décor was uniquely refined.
Roman shades combine classic form with contemporary function:
- Many styles to choose from including balloon shades, hobbled, classic pleated, cascading fold and relaxed folds
- They come in a variety of elegant fabrics and colors
- Light-filtering and room-darkening options to suit your preference
- Shades provide energy-saving insulation
- Shades can be cordless or motorized, making them child-and pet-friendly
Travis confesses that working in 100+ degree heat was challenging, but he enjoyed working with the brothers and sharing their humor. His favorite features: the art display wall in the main house and, of course, the giant waterslide in the resort-style backyard.
Tailored Living provided custom garage cabinets and garage flooring, creating a “Garage Mahal” with floor-to-ceiling custom Silver Frost cabinets with Powder-Coated doors and stainless steel counter tops. PremierTrax garage floor tiles completed the transformation and Johnathan called PremierTrax “the nicest garage floor I’ve ever seen!”
Custom closet organization systems were installed in both bedrooms in the guest house, providing an enormous amount of storage in a relatively small place.
Even if you’re not doing a major renovation, you can reinvent your space with new window treatments to make a dramatic improvement to your home’s interior. A Budget Blinds professional Style Consultant will come to your home with samples and design inspiration to make it happen. Call 866-590-6341 today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or go online at www.budgetblinds.com to find a Style Consultant near you.
To see more reveal pictures of the Property Brothers at Home total renovation, click here.